Hybrid Seahorses.

• Greetings from Amsterdam,

I guess I am a purist and cannot see a reason to hybridize them? Granted these things can happen when you keep a mixed species tank. But I don’t understand why there is a need to put two different species together for the express proposes of creating a hybrid? Is there a commercial gain for creating a designer seahorse?

I am only speaking for myself now! But I truly feel that the designer’s seahorses are the bane of the hobby. It goes against the conservation message about buying True Captive Breed seahorses and it gives fuel to the fire of people and organization that do not want us to keep pet seahorses in captivity. People who don't want us to keep seahorses will and can mount a PR blizt causing fear and giving wrong info about hybrids being release into the wild.

I fear that we as hobbyist might not be able to keep seahorses in the near future if certain people and so call organization have their way. There is a BILL being submitted trying to declare the H. zostera as an endanger species needing special protection under the Endangered Species Act.

Then there been articles written with a slight slant towards misinformation like this ONE and this ONE. You can read the discussion on this THREAD (You need to register first.) and this THREAD.

If this comes to pass, that means we as hobbyist will longer have these species available to us as captive bred ones. The law would in effect outlaw the commercial trade in them.

If you think this is a one off kind of thing, do a Google search > Hawaii ban on marine fish and read all about it.

Kind Regards,

Tim

Ik denk dat ik ben een purist en kan zie geen reden om ze te hybridiseren? Toegegeven deze dingen kunnen gebeuren wanneer u een gemengde aquarium te houden. Maar ik begrijp niet waarom er behoefte is om zo twee verschillende soorten voor de uitdrukkelijke stelt het creëren van een hybride? Is er een commercieel gewin voor het creëren van een ontwerper zeepaardje?

Ik ben alleen voor mezelf spreek nu! Maar ik echt het gevoel dat de ontwerper van de zeepaardjes zijn de vloek van de hobby. Het gaat in tegen het behoud bericht over het kopen van True Captive Ras zeepaardjes en het geeft olie op het vuur van de mensen en de organisatie die niet willen dat we huisdier zeepaardjes in gevangenschap houden. Mensen die niet willen dat we blijven zeepaardjes wil en kan een PR blizt veroorzaken van angst en het geven van verkeerde informatie over hybriden die vrijkomen in het wild te monteren.

Ik vrees dat wij als hobbyist misschien niet in staat zijn om zeepaardjes te houden in de nabije toekomst, indien aan bepaalde mensen en zo noemen de organisatie hebben hun weg. Er is een BILL wordt ingediend proberen om de H. Zostera te verklaren als een soort die bijzondere bescherming op grond van de Endangered Species Act in gevaar brengen.

Dan is er al artikelen geschreven met een lichte helling naar misinformatie zoals deze en deze. U kunt de discussie op deze draad (U dient zich eerst te registreren.) en deze draad.

Als dit komt door te geven aan, dat betekent dat wij als hobbyist zal langer zijn deze soorten beschikbaar voor ons als nakweek. De wet zou in feite vogelvrij de commerciële handel in hen.

Als u denkt dat dit een eenmalige soort dingen, doe een Google-zoekopdracht> Hawaï verbod op het mariene vis en lees er alles over.

Met vriendelijke groet,

Tim

• Hi, Tim!
    Besides the aquarist´s direct impulse to say:No,no,no, it can´t be our fault that seahorses are declining: If I read, that there is a "harvest" quota of 400 H. zosterae per collector/day it really makes me think, that this petition can´t be all wrong. I started thinking about the impact of the BP oil spill on the dwarf seahorses, when they showed the way of the oil on TV. What I fear is , that the "well-meaning US-activists" will shoot to far over the target. And let´s be honest: The chinese will give a sh*t about this petition and will continue to "use" seahorses in their medicine. The sense of hybrids will never be clear for me. I saw hybrids of H. angustus and H. subelongatus offered in the UK and will never support this kind of "breeding efforts".

" Und der Haifisch, der hat Tränen und die laufen vom Gesicht
    Doch der Haifisch lebt im Wasser so die Tränen sieht man nicht
    In der Tiefe ist es einsam und so manche Zähre fliesst
    Und so kommt es , dass das Wasser in den Meeren salzig ist "

Beste Grüße

Stefan

Einmal editiert, zuletzt von muschelschubser ()

Jetzt mitmachen!

Du hast noch kein Benutzerkonto auf unserer Seite? Registriere dich kostenlos und nimm an unserer Community teil!